Always cute nuvvu...

I Love You, Shalini... \(^_^)/ Heart-shaped Rose... For you Shalu Shalu... Yay! Woohoo!...

"...Pretending to be so strong, knowing everything around is so wrong; Oh Love! What is taking you so long?!..."

The more I resist to kneel, the higher my soul soars...
-rPhoenix

Belief hope

I believe! So, I do; I hope! So, I live...
-rPhoenix

Feed Attitude

Feed people with Attitude and seek pleasure when they attain Altitude...
-rPhoenix

Dream quote

I have let my dream take me too far, that I choose to remain there forever...
-rPhoenix

Be Young

Don't be younger than tomorrow; Be younger than yesterday...
-rPhoenix

Promise

Life is worth the struggle if we live for the Promises we make instead of the Compromises we make...
-rPhoenix

What

I'd rather be known for what I live for than what I live as...
-rPhoenix

Today's world

If you are not armed, you will be harmed...
-rPhoenix

It's not over until I WIN...

I am obsessed...

We Believe, Bubbles \(^_^)/

Friday, 2 November 2012

In search of 'Nilam'...

The excitement began as the news channels and my favourite weather tracking forum began to start talking of a landfall near Chennai. We were all anticipating heavy rains but that never happened. After missing out on Cyclone 'Thane' last year due to health reasons, i was reminiscing how thrilling was the first storm chase i had taken up couple of years ago running after the 'Jal' cyclone. Now, i knew i had a chance to get back to storm-chasing with cyclone 'Nilam' making a landfall near chennai. Thus, the action began.

I waited and waited till noon since the forum had told that the real drama from this storm would be starting in the second half of the day. Half past noon, with no power supply, i tried to save as much battery life as i could in my phone, but still, managed to update myself with the storm's position and the expected movement. Everyone wanted it to move out of the Cuddalore and Pondy region as cyclone 'Thane' made landfall in that region, leaving us disappointed. I had my lunch and prepared the gear soon after i read an update and seeing a radar image talking about the position of the storm still in the sea about 200kms South East of Chennai. I had a intuition that 'Nilam' wouldn't disappoint us this time. As expected, it crossed Cuddalore & Pondy region and remained in the sea keeping our hopes alive.

An hour later, talks began about a landfall between Mahabalipuram and South Chennai. I knew it was time. I strapped onto my gear and began inspecting my vehicle (my Dad's Honda Activa). I feared staying safe on the road with this vehicle since it would be a ride along the coast and considering the smaller wheels and the scooter design posing a grave threat to handling issues in the gale force winds. I just wanted to do it and i began calculating the travelling speed to stay on-road. I have been there once when the eye of the storm was making landfall and i wanted to feel being there again, no matter what.

I started my warm-up run along the forest path and the East Coast Road was still 10kms away. The vehicle felt strained and was swaying side to side due to the turbulence. I maintained a constant 40Kmph speed and reached the link road to ECR. I had a bridge ahead and i knew the turbulence would be so great in open spaces. As i began to slow down, i saw a biker take a fall to his side unable to manage the winds. I managed to cross this bridge thinking if i could do this, i could get nearer to the storm easily.

The ECR, my favourite route as a biker, i knew every part of the asphalt, i have been there so many times, yet, it was just my second attempt chasing a storm on the ECR. I reached Muttukadu boating area where the sea is at its closest to the road. I felt a sudden push from behind and my vehicle hit 60Kmph. I braked hard and stayed close to the railing along the bridge. The surface winds were so strong that when i got down from the vehicle, i was being pushed away from the vehicle into the middle of the road. Thank god! There was no traffic at that moment. I saw a man holding to the railings and trying to cross the bridge by walk. 

I did the same and managed to click few pictures by the boating area. Half hour later, i stopped after crossing Mahabalipuram and felt the sky clearing up. I was shocked to see the update from the forum that the storm was heading right towards Mahabalipuram expected to make landfall anytime. I could feel the wind blowing at its peak and stay put there to get further updates. It was official. The Severe Cyclonic storm 'Nilam' was making landfall at Mahabalipuram. I felt so excited seeing the storm move right above my head and marching towards Chennai. I remembered being in the same belt during 'Jal' cyclone and now, to welcome 'Nilam' before it would dissipate inland. 

The sheer force of the winds gave the feeling of being hugged by your dear one after having longed to see each other for a long time. I stood there enjoying my success as a storm-chaser, meeting the eye of the storm and welcoming it inland like my friend from Mother Nature. Although there was not much of rainfall from 'Nilam, i had the better opportunity to feel the storm without any hindrance. I could feel the turbulence from within and the turbulence of the storm match intensity and i calmed down after this wonderful and adventurous experience that of course demanded me to put my life at stake when passing through huge trees, weak bridges, near low visibility roads, the swirling winds and most of all, the incoming traffic on ECR. I will miss you 'Nilam'. Thank you for keeping me safe. Expecting another storm in a week's time. *winks*