I like to travel. But, all the more I like to drive or ride. Rather than being a mere passenger, what has always been my area of interest since childhood is to be in the driver/rider seat. There is no fun if you have to just sit idle and travel. I would rather not travel at all. Well, I agree that not everyone likes to drive or ride. And, just as I respect those who prefer to be mere passengers, I would be respectful to only those respect my preference equally. As for the rest, I am giving you a fishing rod to go and fish for yourself.
I have spent almost a decade and that is one-third of my span riding and driving. I have been to many places and seen many things, good and bad, fortunate and unfortunate. The challenges and benefits are equally weighed but, I have recently realised some powerful things that are far more beyond the human reach.
Three out of my five travels of recent have been challenged heavily by circumstances which have clearly shown me that I will have to hang my riding boots. Three consecutive breakdowns of the lorry have shown how forces beyond our reach can play spoilsport when we assume everything to go fine. Firstly, it was a engine blowup. Secondly, it was the engine overheating. Thirdly, it was a threat to life with a pothole cutting my front tyre and I had to ride with the damaged tyre for a good 270Kms to reach home.
Now, this does not happen as isolated events. It all happened in succession. I have been on trips for nearly a decade without a puncture or any sort of issue in all of my solo rides. But, these events have clearly shown that the lorry was taking the hit that was aimed at me. As a loyal companion, the lorry is defending me from all the harm in my way.
Did I stop driving then? No. I am forced to travel every now and then. With round the clock help assured from lorry's trusted mechanics, I have still set the wheels aside for now. I have taken to travelling as a passenger. And, I drive a lot than riding. Another loyal companion, the Punto Evo is aiding in 1000Kms+ one-day trips to places of importance on special days.
Every trip when I find myself as a mere passenger nowadays, I miss so many things from the roads. The feedback of the handlebars/steering, the braking precision, the perfect gear-shifts, the ability to focus the roads without batting an eyelid when others are sleeping late into the nights, the calculations to overtake vehicles or pass through blinding curves, the bonding with the vehicle transporting me, the humming of the engine at varying RPMs, the laughter at looking at money-rich drivers/riders making mistakes at trying to compete and failing with me at driving/riding, the high-fives and pats at the handlebar/steering wheel after emerging successful from trips, ah, the list can keep going on and on.
Driving/riding is certainly an art. It has a lot to teach us if we have the time to do the same. I have had my share of lessons. I am in no way a racer. I am an endurance rider/driver munching miles endlessly through the day and night. My best trips have come at the worst of my times. That, I feel has been the best of my learning and abiliy at riding/driving.
1. March 2016: The ride to Rameswaram dedicated to the demise of my pet was a staggering 1350Kms in 21hours. It was a trip certainly not at the best of my times.
2. December 2017: The drive to Kodaikanal after all the events of the first week was an overnight nonstop drive with one stage of the drive that gave me a 200Kms stretch in less than 2 hours.
3. April- 2018: The 3000Kms weekend that let me cover distances with a hired bike(1100Kms) and the Punto evo(1900Kms) for a coast to coast trip. At one stretch I had to cover the entire return journey of 1000Kms in 18 hours nonstop. Most of all, it was not at the best of my times.
The recent events have put a fullstop to the riding chapter for now. In a couple of days, I have to choose whether to ride or drive or be a passenger for visiting a special place on a special day. It is a 1000Kms trip again. I have been continually working on improving the lorry's riding character. So, I can ride. I have been in fine touch with the Punto evo. So, I can drive. Uff! I have been forced to sit a mere passenger of late. So, I can be a passenger as well. Yet, the actuals are not known for the upcoming trip. Do you know what it is, Babe? -rPhoenix
No comments:
Post a Comment