Pets. There are lovers and never haters. There are people who have an aversion towards pets. But, not any haters as such. I am a pet lover. So, you are. Otherwise, you wouldn't make it so obvious in your social media profile headline and I wouldn't be making this post now. What makes pets special? Are they mere slaves for our entertainment? Or, are they far more than what we can describe? Recently, my sibling lost an entire aquarium owing to overfeeding. We were not at home and the moment we got the news, I decided to return back and check what had happened.
We had a trip to make for over a week and the question of safeguarding pets during this brief period arose and we had made the necessary arrangements by taking our pet dog to another house and leaving all the fishes in the aquarium well fed until we started for the trip. I made sure that all the Tinfoil Barbs in my aquarium were well fed and in good health. Unfortunately, within a couple of days since we left, my cousin called me saying all the fishes were dead in one of the tanks. We were devastated on knowing it and upon finding out the reason, it turned out to be the filter and overfeeding.
Only I had the keys to my residence and there was no way of checking if the fishes were fine at my place. The fishes at my place were healthy and can last a week easily. Still, I couldn't get that thought out of my mind and I immediately decided to return home by bus the next day to make things clear. It was all worth only few hundreds in monetary terms but, they have been with me for over a year and that one year of support from them is something that no monetary value can replace.
The moment I got down from the bus, I walked briskly to reach home and there they were, stunned by the sudden bright lighting and I was relieved to see them all alive and safe. I went ahead and replaced the water and cleaned their filters and fed them and sat there for nearly an hour and that feeling of knowing that they are all safe brought me some cheer and relief.
They were not more than few centimeters when I got them home. Today, they have grown up to nearly my palm size. They are hardy fish but, they do need care as well. So, pets. What are they? To me, they are not mere entertainment. I know I have to return again by bus to drive the car with the entire family this weekend. Now, the tally is at 5000Kms of travel in a fortnight. But, the relief I got after knowing that all are safe back home is something that I cannot buy elsewhere.
Pets need time, they need a lot of patience and effort. They do need our love and care. They can never be ignored. They always maintain one state of mind towards us, that is to be loyal to us. So, whatever time or effort or sacrifice that we make is never going to equal what they give to us. This is one place where there is no equal give and take. We have evolved to such a state where they are almost enslaved within our boundaries. Still, the extent to which they show their affection to us is beyond any boundaries.
Bubbles \(^_^)/, you should have retained Baby with you. I hope you learnt it the hard way. If you differ, I understand your circumstances. Not everyone can be like me. I gave up my abroad chances for my pet dog, I quit my prospective job to take care of my ageing pet and every now and then, I do take extreme decisions to make sure these pets are not harmed. What am I doing here today? My trip actually got extended by another week. But, I decided to come back home by bus just to feed these fishes. I know how people would laugh knowing this.
Today, I am travelling again. I have to get back to the trip and over the weekend, I will drive back home with the entire family. Pets need someone like me. In some way or the other, I am indebted to them. Say, it is 4A.M in the morning but when you are so stressed with so many things in Life and, when you are alone and all that you have is this aquarium to sit and stare, I guess it is worth travelling to and fro amidst a hectic schedule just to feed the fishes. Minutes before penning down this post and minutes from ending this post, I was and I will be in front of those fishes and the joy of digging into the fish feed and sprinkling them all over the aquarium and seeing the fishes feed joyfully is all that I have to relax myself right now. Oh, yeah! You could have let me relax a bit by changing your dp, but you seem to be busy with your preparation right now. Alright, I will wait. Bubbles \(^_^)/ Bubbles \(^_^)/ Bubbles \(^_^)/, isn't it good to view this page on the tablet you are currently using? *Smug of an evil thug* Ahem, ahem, time to feed the fishes. *Winks* -rPhoenix
No comments:
Post a Comment